Ned Alan Sokoloff
Our President and CEO, Ned Sokoloff, was born and raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Ned was mentored by his step-dad ‘Big Bill,’ a proprietor of thirty bars in the Philadelphia area, gaining Ned first-hand experience in the Pennsylvania bar/restaurant industry during the mid-1960’s. Operator frustrations were evident to Ned as he watched and helped ‘Big Bill’ and other operators work through all sorts of situations in the industry.
Those informative years enabled Ned to have the vision for an affordable, professional company to serve both experienced operators and first-timers under one roof. Ned’s vision came to fruition in 1986 when he opened a boutique service business for the bar/restaurant industry and called it Specialty Group.
Today, Specialty Group welcomes all operators from neighborhood bars and pizza shops to five-star restaurants and catering operations as they all are connected with the common thread; they are all trying to make a living in the bar/restaurant industry.
- Restaurant Rants: A “Street Level” Look At the Bar & Restaurant Industry – Authored book in 2014
- Independent Restauranteur Magazine: Current Columnist
- Server Magazine: Monthly Restaurant Trade Paper- 10 years
- Pennsylvania Beverage Journal
- NJ PA Real Estate Journal
- Pennsylvania Restaurant Matters Magazine
- Pittsburgh Post Gazette
- Small Business News
- Pittsburgh Courier
- Enterprise Journal
- Pittsburgh Business Times
- Pennsylvania Observer Magazine
- Server Magazine
- Nations Restaurant News
- Night Club & Bar Magazine
- Small Business Assocation
- Pennsylvania Restaurant Association
- Entrepreneurs Day
- Protecting Creditors rights in Bankruptcy
- Pennsylvania Foreclosure and Repossession
- Drafting Commercial Loan Documents
- The Legal Side of Credit and Collection
- Defending Liquor Licensees
- Pennsylvania Restaurant Association: Associate Member of the Year 2008
- Instrumental in handling over 2,500 liquor license transfers
- Opening of over 1,300 liquor licensed restaurants since 1970
- Pennsylvania Restaurant Association: Board of Directors
- Pennsylvania Restaurant Association: Governmental Affairs Committee 2007
- Pennsylvania Restaurant Association: Alcohol Service Committee 2007-2010
- Pennsylvania Culinary Foundation: Advisory Committee
- Hospitality Alliance of Western Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Real Estate Salesperson: Licensed in 1976
- Pennsylvania Notary Public
- Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA: General Business & Theater Arts 1966-1969
- Miami Military Academy: Graduated in the top 10% 1966
- Weidner College
A “Street Level” Look At the Bar & Restaurant Industry
Specialty Group was created in 1986 as a result of Ned’s vision and his ability to identify the need for a company specifically designed to help aspiring and current bar and restaurant operators. Since opening Specialty Group, Ned has had dozens of articles published in local and national publications. This book is a sampling of those articles published over the past 25 years. His one-of-a-kind spin on the do’s and don’ts of restaurant and bar operations is unique, interesting, informative and entertaining.
Ned worked for A-1 Discount Company in Philadelphia, PA. It was a Multi-million dollar lending institution servicing bars and restaurants exclusively. He worked directly under Barry Goldstein, Esq.
Ned was hired by S. David Litman, Esq. to manage his corporate lending division. Ned processed hundreds of liquor license transfers as well as all types of liquor applications. He negotiated sales agreements and commercial leases as well as the terms and conditions of loans to new and existing liquor licensed establishments. Ned analyzed and interpreted credit and credit risks, provided insurance services and maintained the market despite the depressed economic conditions.
Specialty Group was created in 1986 as a result of Ned’s vision and his ability to identify the need for a specific company designed to help aspiring restaurateurs and bar people achieve their dreams. Ned’s vision also included those already in the business offering a comprehensive boutique of services exclusively tailored for the industry; financing, liquor license brokerage, Bar & Restaurant Business/Real Estate Brokerage and preparation and filing of all PLCB documentation
Today, Specialty Group welcomes owners from independents to brands to boutiques with bars, restaurants, night clubs, catering-concepts and hotels.