Licensing 101

Licensing 101

Licensing 101

Navigating the world of alcohol licensing in Pennsylvania can seem daunting at first glance, but understanding the basics is the first step to simplify the process. Whether you're dreaming of opening a brewery, running a restaurant, or starting a beer distributor, knowing what type of license you'll need is crucial. In this blog post, we'll break down the three main categories of licenses issued in Pennsylvania: retail, wholesale, and manufacturing, to give you a clearer picture of what each entails.

Retail Licenses: restaurants, bars, hotels, convenience stores and more!

When we talk about retail licenses in Pennsylvania, we're referring to the licenses required for businesses that sell alcohol for on or off-premises consumption to customers. This category typically includes restaurants, bars, convenience stores, movie theaters, bowling alleys, hotels and more. If you're planning to open a venue where customers can purchase alcohol to enjoy on-site or to take home, a retail license is what you need. This license is the foundation for businesses aiming to offer a diverse selection of alcoholic beverages to their clientele. The most common is the restaurant liquor license, otherwise known as "R License". This will let you sell beer (aka malt or brewed beverages), wine and/or liquor.

Wholesale Licenses: beer distributors

Next up, we have the wholesale license, which are either distributor licenses or importing distributor licenses. This type of license is tailored for businesses that plan to sell malt or brewed beverages in large quantities all the way down to a single container. These types of businesses are either selling directly to other licensed establishments and/or to customers directly.

Manufacturing Licenses: create your own alcohol, import alcohol and so much more.

For those of you looking to craft your own alcohol, the manufacturing license is a must-have. Whether you're interested in brewing beer, fermenting wine, or distilling spirits, these types of licenses covers all bases plus additional licenses for other uses. The manufacturing license is ideal for entrepreneurs who not only want to produce their own unique alcoholic beverages but also potentially sell them directly to consumers or through distributors methods.

Looking Ahead

Understanding these licenses is just the beginning. At Specialty Group, we specialize in navigating the complexities of alcohol licensing in Pennsylvania. Whether you're a seasoned business owner or new to the scene, we're here to help.

For more information, feel free to call at 412-369-1555, extension 2. Stay tuned for more insightful content, and thank you for joining us on this journey through the world of alcohol licensing in Pennsylvania.

Follow us

Recent Posts


Join our Newsletter.